Transportation data released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed that 1,292 Nigerians were killed in road traffic crashes recorded in Q1 2018 while 2,482 road crashes were recorded within the period.

A total of 8,466 Nigerians were also injured in the road traffic crashes recorded within the period, with 7, 773 of the 8, 466 Nigerians that got injured, representing 92% of the figure, are adults, while the remaining 693 Nigerians, representing 8% of the figure are children. 6,394 males representing 76%, are injured in road crashes in Q1 while 2,072 female Nigerians, representing 24% got injured.
Similarly, a total of 1,186 of the 1,292 Nigerians that got killed, representing 92% of the figure, are adults, while the remaining 106 Nigerians, representing 8% of the figure are children. 1,008 male Nigerians, representing 78%, got killed in road crashes in Q1 while 284 female Nigerians, representing 22% got killed.
Speed violation (over speeding), topped the major causes of road crashes within the period accounting for 50.81% of the total road crashes reported.
Tyre burst and dangerous driving followed closely, as they both accounted for 8.26% and 8.42% of the total road crashes recorded.
Estimated vehicle population in Nigeria as at Q1 2018 was put at 11,653,871 with the total population of the country puts at 198,000,000 in 2018. Nigeria’s vehicle per population ratio is put 0.06.
Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q1 2018 reflected that 2,330 or 60.3% of vehicles are commercial, while 1,480, representing 38.30% are private, 52, or 1.35% are government and the diplomat with two (2) vehicle involved.
A total of 223,107 national drivers licenses were produced in Q1 2018. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers’ licenses while Ekiti and Kebbi States produced the least numbers of national drivers’ license.